Wednesday, March 27, 2024

The Very Long Night of Po Ding...

                     I'm sitting here at my keyboard, desperately trying to come up with words to describe how I feel right now and failing. I feel empty, lost, alone. In Battletech, you always hear of how disorienting it is to make a K-F jump. I guess it feels a little like that. To have everything you wanted and hoped for ripped away in the blink of an eye.

                    I've played in this universe since I was 8 or 9 years old, and I'm now in my forties. I've never felt so rejected in this universe before. This is on par with losing a relationship or something of that sort. Or losing a dear friend. Is losing a dream any less valid? I sometimes wish I had never dreamed of it at all, so I could not feel this level of disappointment, sadness, and loss.

                    I know some would say "Just go write in another universe" But those other universes don't have the pull of Battletech for me. They don't have the experience of getting that first Ral Partha Phoenix Hawk mini from my older brother-in-law and guiding its adventures through the universe based on reading and re-reading the Grey Death Trilogy, making my own characters to flesh out the pages of the old Camo Specs book, or practicing math by homebrewing different variants from the dilapidated old copy of TRO 3050 that I still own to this day.

                    None of those universes have seen me through the struggles with my own gender identity or struggles with mental health issues. None of those other universes have been my escape when I felt alone and afraid in the world. And none of them can take the place in my heart or my imagination that Battletech can.

                    I don't know how to move forward and move on. I don't know what direction to go in. I just don't know. I just wish this night would end and there could be morning again. I just wish this night would end....

5 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for blocking me on Twitter. Now I don't have to read your incessant whining and crying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Internet hugs(with permission)! I saw your post about Young and Hanza reaching out, I hope they can give you a hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are both amazing people. They have both helped me more than i probably deserve.

      Delete
    2. Much more than you deserve.

      Delete
  3. Maybe reflect on yourself and come to the realization that this all happened because of your own actions. Things don't happen magically on their own, they require hands and minds to put them into motion.

    Invent time travel and go back and tell yourself not to ruin what you had going for you and not to ruin it for the rest of us

    ReplyDelete