Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Call me Po Ding...

 Cumberland

Caripare

Irece Prefecture

Draconis Combine

31 July 3152 




                    Po Ding stood atop a gentle hill and looked out over the fields with his binoculars. The fighting was still too far away to see, but smoke rising from beyond his field of vision, coupled with the dull thuds of explosions told him that the fight was underway.    

                    The Hell's Horses had landed and immediately begun combat operations. Po had sent Max out to recon their strength, coordinating with the recon elements of the Sword of Light, to gain a picture of just what they were facing. He had faced the Horses before, but always on ground of his choosing. Now they were bringing the fight to him..

                    "What news of the fight, Shao-zhang?"

                    Po's heart was sent aflutter at the voice of Sho-sa Jade Takahashi, who had silently made her way up the hill to join him. She was dressed now for the field, wearing a simple jumpsuit of grey and red, half zipped covering her cooling vest beneath. Even now, with battle nearly commencing, Po had to force himself to ignore her delicate curves and beautiful eyes.

                    "Max has engaged the enemy screening elements. So far, they are locked in inconclusive combat. It will take time, but Max will break through and get the intel that we need."

                    "You have confidence in your friend. That is admirable"

                    Po raised the binoculars to his eyes once more. "Max is more than a friend. He is my right hand. He has been since we were children. When I set him to a task, it will be done."

                    Jade nodded. "Forgive me, Shao-zhang. I did not mean to imply otherwise. I have no doubt in his abilities. Waiting is the hardest part of this whole thing, however, is it not?"

                    Po lowered the glasses. "It is. Trusting in one's subordinates is never easy. Mine, however, are of the highest quality, I can assure you. We are not mere mercenaries. We are the House."

                    "You fought well earlier. I have no doubts."

                    Po dared a glance at the Sho-sa. She was surveying the field as he was. He had to remind himself that her beauty concealed a deadly warrior and no doubt a keen tactician. 

                    "It is a shame that we must fight over such beauty."

                    She turned to him and nodded. "Indeed it is. I noticed as much when I was assigned to the garrison. It is also a shame that you will have to leave with your mission unfulfilled."

                    Po allowed the slightest hint of a smile. "It is true that I will leave without the grain that I came for. Syndic Marena will not be pleased. However I count this mission as a success that I was able to experience such beauty."

                    Takahashi raised an eyebrow. "Twice now you have mentioned the beauty of this place. Strange for a warrior to take note of such things. Ordinarily the battlefields on which we fight are non-descript."

                    Po responded with a gentle nod, closing his eyes for a moment and considering his words. "Indeed. But I consider myself more than just a warrior. War is but one of my tools. It is one that I hone constantly, to be sure, but it is but one of many. It is a dim warrior indeed who does not appreciate art, philosophy, and beauty when he sees it.

                    The Sho-sa smiled slightly. "You speak the truth. It is rare to find such qualities in a warrior these days. You should be proud. You would fit well amongst the better servants of the Dragon."

                    "Alas, my service is to the Celestial Wisdom, and to the House. I have fought long and hard to raise the House to the fighting unit that we are today. No doubt you have fought long and hard on your own career, to have come so far against such odds. You too should be proud."

                    "Hai. I am most proud of my accomplishments, and those of my troops. Much blood will be spilled this day. But tell me, Shao-zhang, why do you and your troops fight? We fight for the Dragon. It is a calling that cannot be denied. What is your calling?"

                    "That is easy, Sho-sa. We fight for the betterment of ourselves. Each and every one of my warriors is here to better themselves, to find balance in their lives, to find purpose and meaning. That is the way of the House. If you are truly interested in our ways, I can see that you receive a copy of my book. It explains these things in detail."

                    "I would like that, Shao-zhang. I would like that very much indeed."

                    Po smiled. "Then it is yours. And when next we meet, please, call me Po Ding."

                    She nodded just as the comm unit in Po's ear came to life. "Master Po, I have found the main body of the Horses. They are here in earnest, with assault mechs. I have spotted Star Colonel Ravenwater's Kraken amongst them. We are returning to the main body. Suggest you ready yourselves for combat!" Max had found the enemy.

                    "Max has found them. I suggest that we mount up and prepare for battle." 

No comments:

Post a Comment