Tuesday, March 5, 2024

An Evening Most Auspicious...

Cumberland

Caripare

Irece Prefecture

Draconis Combine

1 August 3152 





                    Sho-sa Jade Takahashi sat at her desk, leaning back in her chair with her eyes closed. The battle had gone well. The Hell's Horses had been sent packing. She had been pleasantly surprised at the skill with which the Mercenaries had comported themselves. Master Po had built himself quite a force, and she was not looking forward to returning to being his enemy.

                    She also had to admit that she was personally not looking forward to parting ways with Master Po. There was something about the way he carried himself that she found almost alluring. He possessed an inner strength that shone through into his life, and she respected that greatly. She had little room in her life for a man, but if she were looking for a companion, she could see herself with Po.

                    She laughed silently to herself. She had spent the better part of the past few years deflecting the amorous advances of her superior, Tai-sa Okomoto Goro, and now she was finding her mind wandering to a Mercenary whom days before she had fought on the field of battle. With the Horses gone, they may yet find themselves on opposite sides of the conflict.

                    There came a knock at the door, interrupting her reverie. Focus Jade, you are not some idle schoolgirl, you are a warrior of the Dragon, with responsibilities to go along with that. You have worked hard to get where you are, never forget that.

                    "Enter."

                    The door opened and one of Po's warriors entered. She recognized him as Po's second in command and trusted aide Maxwell Ma. He was dressed in the green and beige robes favored by Po's warriors, wearing a white headband with the logo of House Po, a yin and yang of a gnarled tree and its root structure. 

                    "Sho-sa Takahashi, you honor me with your time. Thank you for seeing me. I bring a gift from Master Po." He placed a leather bound book on her desk. The cover was simple, showing the House Po logo, and the title in Mandarin, "The People's Principles".

                    She ran her hand over the cover. "Thank you Lien-zhang Maxwell Ma. The Shao-zhang and I discussed this prior to the battle. He need not give me such a gift, but I accept it nonetheless to honor him."

                    "I think you will find it is he that is most honored by your acceptance, as well as having made your acquaintance. Master Po is not taken to giving such gifts lightly, I assure you."

                    She smiled softly. "Then I shall cherish it dearly. I am afraid my Mandarin is a bit rusty, but this will give me a chance to hone my skills. Again, I find myself most honored by this gift."

                    She paused for a moment before speaking again. "Tell me, Lien-zhang, what are the intentions of House Po, now that we have defeated the Clan interlopers? Do we find ourselves enemies once more?"

                    Max bowed his head to her. "You will forgive me, I am but a humble servant of the House. I would not dare to speak for Master Po on this matter. I will say that he has enjoyed our cooperation immensely, and I do not think he wishes to see the conflict continue. But such discussions are above my station, Sho-sa."  

                    She found herself wishing to speak to Po on this matter, as well as other matters if she was honest with herself. Perhaps this gift was the perfect opening. "It would seem that we have much to discuss, Master Po and I. Tell me Lien-zhang will you carry a message to Master Po on my behalf?"

                    Max nodded. "I would be most honored to carry your message. And I can with reasonable certainty say that Master Po would welcome word from you indeed."

                    "Allow me a moment to compose this message."

                    Max bowed slightly. "My time is your time, Sho-sa."

                    She took a piece of paper and dipped her pen into a small bottle of ink. With deliberate care, she crafted her invitation to Po. When she had finished, she folded the letter delicately, and sealed it with a dab of hot wax.

                    She handed the letter to Max. "I would be most grateful if you could deliver this letter to Master Po. I know he places great trust in you, and so I also place my trust with you in this matter."

                    Max accepted the letter with a bow. "It shall reach him directly, Sho-sa. If I may take leave of you?"

                    Jade nodded, and with that, Max was gone. She found herself smiling at the thought of meeting Po again, and hoped very much that he would accept her invitation.



######


Dropship Pan-zhang (Grounded)

Caripare

Irece Prefecture

Draconis Combine

1 August 3152 


                    Po Ding let the warm water flow over him as he let his mind wander. This mission had gone sideways fast. It was the greatest stroke of luck that the Kuritans had been amenable to an alliance against the Hell's Horses, and had allowed for the defeat of the Clanners. But his initial mission was still ongoing. He had been tasked with securing a quantity of seed, specifically a strong and hearty strain of corn, from this rich agricultural world. The arrival of the Horses had sidetracked this mission, but now with the Horses fleeing in defeat, the heart of the matter came to the fore. 

                    He did not relish the though of fighting the Kuritans again, both because they had proven to be highly skilled allies, and because he was finding himself increasingly enamored with their commander, Sho-sa Jade Takahashi. Not only that, but she had saved his life on the field of battle.

                    You are growing old and weak, Po, your mind focusing upon a girl now when there is so much still unresolved. Balance in all things, Po. Focus. 

                    There was a knock at the door, breaking his concentration.

                    "Yes, what is it?"

                    He exited the shower and wrapped himself in a towel, drying himself quickly.

                    "I bring news from Sho-sa Takahashi, Po."

                    He recognized Max's voice. "Come in, Max."

                    Max entered Po's cabin grinning. "I told you, Po." he said as he handed a letter over to Po.

                    "Do not be so full of yourself, Max. This is a correspondence between commanders. The Sho-sa and I need to hammer out our standing now that the Hell's Horses have been defeated."

                    "That's not all you two need to hammer out." 

                    Po punched his friend gently on the shoulder. "You are hopeless, Max."

                    Max's smile did not fade. "Say what you will, Po, but it is not often that commanders hand-write notes to one another. I'm telling you, she has the hots for you as well. Don't miss your chance."

                    Po opened the letter "Shao-zhang, I have received your gift and find it most agreeable. You honor me with a copy of your work. It is my humble hope that my most basic Mandarin will be enough to guide me through it's pages. Barring that, perhaps we can discuss it more in person, as I am eager to learn more of your teachings. I would be most honored if you would dine with my officers and I in the capitol so that we may discuss this and the current situation in which we find ourselves embroiled. Your safe passage is guaranteed. If you are agreeable, we shall meet in two days time. I will leave it to my subordinates to work out the details. Most sincerely, Sho-sa Jade Takahashi."

                    "Well, what does it say, Po?" Max asked eagerly.

                    "She wishes me to dine with her and her officers two days from now to discuss our current situation.. She leaves the details to be worked out in the meantime."

                    Max smiled sheepishly. "So it's a date then!"

                    Po shook his head. "With her and half a dozen samurai who hate me. Do not say I told you so, Max. This is a formal affair where we are to work out the details of our current situation. I expect you to be there with me. This is House business, plain and simple."

                    "If you say so, Po. Shall I work out the details with the Sword of Light?"

                    "Please do. And remember Max, this is a formal affair. Treat it as such."

                    Max smiled broadly. "Oh I will, Po, you can trust me on that. But as your friend, I beg you to keep your mind open. There is more to this than you are willing to admit. Embrace it."



######


Cumberland

Caripare

Irece Prefecture

Draconis Combine

3 August 3152 




                    Po Ding's heart raced as he climbed the steps to the temple where they had agreed to meet with the Sword of Light officers. Max walked dutifully behind him. They were both dressed in the formal robes of the House, dark green with beige highlights. The temple was part of a greater compound that had been taken over by the Sword of Light to act as their headquarters, and so technically he was in enemy territory. He had been promised safe passage, and had no reason to doubt the Kuritan's honor. Instead his anxiety was born of the fact that he would be meeting with Sho-sa Jade Takahashi. He had fought to keep the meeting from his mind for the past two days, and now it was come to fruition. 

                    He wanted to pretend, as he had told Max numerous times, that this was a mere meting of officers, but he could not honestly say that his mind was not on the alluring Sho-sa. They were led through a dimly lit hallway, which opened into what was serving as the dining hall for the evening.

                    Half a dozen DCMS officers stood to the right of Sho-sa Takahashi. The Sho-sa was resplendent in her formal dress uniform, complete with paired swords befitting her rank. She moved with a delicate grace that Po had also seen in her BattleMech piloting, something that was not easy to achieve piloting multi-ton war machines.

                    The Sword of Light officers around her wore cold expressions, but it was a far sight more welcoming then when he had met them days previous, at least there was no open hostility. The room was dimly lit by candles and paper lanterns, and shadows danced around the outer corners.

                    Po's gaze remained on Sho-sa Takahashi. She gestured for him to sit, the delicate tatami flooring was welcoming and soft silk cushions were arrayed for them to sit on. The other officers took their place. Po nodded to Takahashi and took his place beside her. Max took his place at Po's side.

                    He soaked in the delicate fragrance of the room, which smelled like spring flowers. Everything was peaceful and the dim lighting highlighted the intricate Fusuma art.

                    "We are most honored that you would join us, Shao-zhang." Po hung on her every word. "My officers and I look forward to dining with you, and it is my most fervent hope that we can end this night most amicably as friends, rather than as enemies."

                    Po nodded. "Indeed. We have built a tremendous rapport in our fight with a common enemy. I too hope that we can build upon this."

                    "First we have some tea. I hope you will find it to your liking." As she spoke, servants gracefully entered the room almost silently and poured a dark tea into delicate cups set on the wooden tables set low on the floor in front of the gathered guests.

                    Po waited for her cue before taking a drink of the strong tea, allowing it to fill his mouth and sinuses before gently swallowing the liquid. "It is most agreeable, Sho-sa. The effort that you have gone to is not lost on us, I assure you."

                    "Our meal will arrive shortly, Shao-zhang. In the meantime, if you would not consider it rude, we can begin discussion on the topic at hand. Hopefully we can reach an amicable outcome before the food arrives, leaving us to enjoy this bountiful meal and setting for the evening."

                    "I would be most happy to deal first with business so that we may focus more on pleasure. If I may be so bold as to ask, what is it that concerns you?"

                    Her face remained neutral as she nodded slightly to Po. "I speak to you as a humble servant of the Dragon. We are here duty bound to protect that which belongs to the Dragon. Yet you initially came to this world as raiders, for some purpose to take that which is not yours. We are honor bound to stop you in this goal."

                    Po nodded. "Indeed. I am contracted by the Alyina Mercantile League to procure a supply of the hearty corn seed that this world is most famous for. The League is facing famine on many of it's worlds, and we seek to restore balance to the situation."

                    Takahashi raised an eyebrow. "You seek to restore balance by taking that which is not yours. I would argue that this is most disharmonious."

                    Po nodded in deference. "Indeed, war is most disharmonious in it's nature. But war is the tool with which we ply our trade. It is unfortunate that we are at odds regarding this, but that is the way of war."

                    Jade shook her head. "You and I do not ply the same trade, as you say. I serve my lord and defend his holdings. You fight for monetary gain. We are not the same."

                    Po sipped his tea. "Here I believe you may have an incomplete picture of me. I am no mere mercenary. I follow the path of the Celestial Wisdom. Money is not my reason for fighting. I fight because it is my nature. Money merely gives me the means of continuing this endeavor."

                    Takahashi chose her words carefully. "Yet you do not merely serve the Celestial Wisdom. You are not a Capellan line unit. You are something apart, yes?"

                    "Yes. Something apart. We are the House. We value the freedom of action that our mercenary ways afford us."

                    "This is good to know. I am glad that our two realms are not coming to war over such things. There are greater foes to our respective ways of life. But yet we still find ourselves at odds."

                    This was the real issue. Would Po back down, or would he continue on his mission? Po himself had been unsure of what course things would take up until this moment. But now, for better or worse, the die was cast. He locked eyes with Takahashi.

                    "Then let me put your mind at ease, Sho-sa. I find that the situation has changed from that when I first arrived. Much blood has been spilled on this world, more so as allies than as enemies. I wish it to remain so. Perhaps I am letting my personal feelings cloud my judgement, but it is my prerogative. If it is agreeable to you, my forces will withdraw with no further fighting."

                    "You would abandon your mission and leave this world empty handed?"

                    "As I have stated, the situation has changed. I will not cling to old ways of thinking when the facts have changed. And I would posit that it is my sincere hope that I am not leaving here empty handed."

                    Takahashi raised her eyebrow. "Oh? And what is it that you have gained?"

                    Po once again met the Sho-sa's gaze. "I would hope, at the very least, that I have gained an ally. Allies are more valuable than grain or Battlemechs."

                    Po's heart was racing. Focus, Po Ding. An ally, that is what you seek. Nothing more.

                    Jade nodded. "Our alliance has born fruit in a successful campaign against terrible invaders. I am pleased to see it continue. I wonder, will you not lose face for having failed in your goal?"

                    "My reputation is my own to deal with, and I assure you it will remain sufficiently intact for my liking. But as the situation has changed, so too have my goals changed."

                    At that moment, the doors slid open and the servants emerged bearing the food for the occasion. The discussion paused as they silently apportioned the food onto the delicate china plates set before them. As before, Po waited for the Sho-sa's cue before picking up his chopsticks. The sushi was excellent, and he savored the first few bites.

                    They ate in silence for several minutes until each guest was finished eating, and the servants whisked away the plates just as silently as they had brought them in.

                    It was the Sho-sa who broke the silence. "If I may be so bold as to ask, what are these new goals?"

                    Be careful Po. Do not make a fool of yourself.

                    "I will be equally bold, Sho-sa and say that I wish to leave this world having made an ally and a friend."

                    Jade nodded almost imperceptibly. "I think, on this subject, we are in agreement, Shao-zhang.

                    Po's heart was once again racing at the thought of a mere friendship with this woman. It was invigorating, and he reveled in the sensation.

                    "Then please, call me Po Ding."

                    Po could sense an almost imperceptible change in the attitude of the officers around them at this level of familiarity. He cared only about the opinion of one person in the room at that moment.

                    "As you wish, Po Ding. I trust that you have enjoyed your evening thus far?"

                    Po nodded. "Immeasurably so, Sho-sa. You have been a most wonderful host. I hope that the evening is not yet over, however."

                    Careful, Po Ding. Do not reach too far at the risk of getting swatted down like a fly. She is out of your grasp. Do not make a fool of yourself in reaching too far.

                    Jade nodded with a delicate smile. "Most assuredly it is not yet at an end."

                    At that moment, the servants returned, this time with small porcelain cups which they set on the table. Further servants followed them, pouring warm sake into each cup before withdrawing. Once again, he took his cue from the Sho-sa, allowing her to take the first sip before drinking the warm wine into his mouth, allowing it to rest for a moment before swallowing.

                    "May I ask you a question, Po Ding?"

                    Po nodded his affirmation. "Please."

                    "You seem to have built your unit somewhat on the Warrior House Orders of your own Capellan Confederation. We have seen your martial prowess in action. But it is my understanding that there is much more to you than the way of a warrior. I appreciate the most pleasant gift that you gave me earlier of your philosophical teachings. Are you as accomplished a poet as you are a warrior?"

                  "Cherry blossoms fall, Steel-clad petals in the breeze, Warrior's dance thrives."

                    She nodded. "You honor us with your haiku, Po Ding."

                    The evening went on for several more hours as they discussed poetry and philosophy. With each passing moment, Po's anxiety grew less and he grew more at ease. For most of the evening it was as if they were the only two in the room. Soon the evening was turning to night.

                    "Our time here is coming to a close Po Ding. And yet, if I may be so bold once again, may I impose upon you to walk with me through the beautiful gardens here on this estate?"

                    Where he had been relaxed before, now his heart was once more set aflutter. Do not make a fool of yourself, Po.

                    "It would be my honor to walk with you."

                    She nodded and rose, gesturing for him to follow. He dutifully followed, remaining behind her as she led the way to a door, which she slid open, revealing a beautifully crafted garden. She bid him to follow her, and he obliged as she slid the door closed behind them.

                     "These gardens are most beautiful. They rival my own on Harloc. I find myself wishing that we were there just now so that I might show you."

                    "You comment often on beauty, Po Ding. Do not think that your affirmations have been lost on me. I am most flattered by your kind words."

                    "My sincere apologies if any of this has been unwanted, Sho-sa."

                    She took his hand in hers. "You have comported yourself most honorably, Po Ding. And it would please me if you called me Jade."

                    Her touch was electric, and he savored it deeply.

                    "Whatever pleases you, Jade, it will be done."

                    "Be careful with your promises Po Ding. You may be surprised with what pleases me."

                    His mind was racing. Was this really happening? He found himself in heaven. His hand was in hers and it fired his mind and body. There was nothing to be done but to act. He would sink or swim, fly or crash and burn.

                    He leaned in and kissed her gently on the lips. He waited for her to pull away, but she did not. The kiss seemed to go on for eternity, his body was light as a feather.

                    Their lips parted and their eyes locked together. He was lost in her in that moment. He would do anything for her.

                    "We have fought beside each other as warriors. Now come with me, Po Ding."

                    She gently pulled at him. He took a few steps following her before pausing. "The others?"

                    She placed a finger on his lips. "The others will be fine. Your friend Max will be taken care of. For now, it is just you and I. Let us make the most of it."


######



                    Po Ding laid on his back, breathing softly. Jade was curled up beside him, her hand on his chest. For all of their formality, by the time Jade had led him to her room, they were acting like children. Their lovemaking had come quick and gentle, in stark contrast to their outside lives piloting machines of death. It had been some time since Po had been with a woman, and he had almost forgotten the euphoric high that came with sex.    

                    "I trust that I kept my promise?"

                    She smiled in response. "You have kept your promise most wonderfully, Po. Was this how you envisioned your evening ending?"

                    "I would be a liar if I said it was so. Tonight has been a dream. I find myself most blessed, beyond my wildest dreams. And wishing that this night would not end."

                    She rubbed her hand gently across his chest. "It is not over yet, Po. We still have a few hours before we must return to the world around us. I am happy to spend them with you, here."

                    He kissed her gently on the forehead. "And we will go on about our lives in a little while. You asked me earlier about my leaving this world empty handed. Clearly now you see that is not the case. Does this put your mind at ease?"

                    "It does. We are warriors, but we need not fight each other. In another time and place, perhaps we could have more, but our duties must come first."

                    "Balance in all things. I preach this constantly. It is much the same as your sense of duty, yet subtly different."

                    "How so?"

                    "Duty is rigid and uncompromising. Yet there must be some compromise, or life has little value. By the same token, were we to indulge ourselves too deeply in our passions, we would become lost. The balance is that which we strive for. Tonight has been that balance in action. And I shall remember it fondly."

                    She sighed softly. "As will I, Po."

         

No comments:

Post a Comment