Tuesday, February 27, 2024

The Rescue...


Dropship Firebee

Gamble Plains

Conquista

Duchy of Andurien

Free Worlds League


14 June, 3152




                    Nyxie slammed her fist on the table. "It is our duty to rescue the Sao-Shao! We should be planning an attack, not seeking an escape!"

                    She locked eyes with the Death Commandos executive officer, Alexander Tam. "I appreciate your concern, but you have no rank or authority here. My orders are clear. We have struck the Anduriens and bloodied them. Our mission is accomplished. That the Sao-shao was lost is irrelevant. She knew the risks of this campaign, as did we all. The mission comes first. She would say the same."

                    "You are a fool, Tam. Do you really think you will be welcomed back after your failure? It is correct, I know relatively little of your ways in the Confederation right now, but what little I know does not make me believe That the Chancellor will embrace failure. Better to risk our lives here in a rescue operation to salvage something from this operation than to return with our tails between our legs."

                    Tam snarled angrily. "You're right, you do not understand our ways. If you did, you would know how dangerous your position is, defying one of the Death Commandos does not often end well."

                    Nyxie laughed. "I am not afraid of you, Tam. If I die, I die, I was raised in the Clans. If this were our way, I would challenge you to a circle of equals for your foolishness, and take command of this failed operation."

                    "Do not press your luck. I might take you up on that offer if you are any more insolent towards me."

                    Nyxie was about to respond when the hatch slid open and a junior officer came in with word of a transmission incoming. She followed Tam to the bridge of the ship, where the communications gear was located. 

                    As she entered the bridge, she suppressed a smile. The central holotable showed the image of a man she had not imagined she would see just then. Tam hesitated when he saw the transmission.

                    "What are you doing here?" he asked of the man.

                    The image of Po Ding smiled. "Greetings Sang-wei. I am Shiao-zhang Po Ding. I have been monitoring local broadcasts which have told the tale of a failed Capellan raid. I see the Sao-shao is not with you. I take it that things have not gone according to plan. How may I be of assistance?"

                    Tam threw up his hands. "You are most arrogant, Po Ding. I do not recognize your rank, I am in charge here."

                    "As I can see."

                    Tam pointed at the image. "Do not mock me, Po Ding! You are a mere mercenary. Do not forget that."

                    Po nodded. "I forget nothing Sang-wei. I am merely here to help. What is the status of your commander?"

                    "She was captured by the enemy when they overran our position. I attempted to parlay with this Colonel Humphreys, but he refused to exchange prisoners and merely restated his claim to this world."

                    "I see. Then what is your rescue plan? Perhaps we can assist you."

                    Tam shook his head. "The raid is concluded. We engaged the Anduriens and bloodied them. Our mission is complete. We are preparing to withdraw."

                    Po frowned. "That is most unfortunate. With our combined strength, we can defeat these enemies. While I can appreciate that you sense a promotion at the loss of your commander, this is not a time for squabbling. I intend to rescue her. You may assist me if you wish. If you do not, then I ask merely that you stay out of our way as you retreat."

                    "You are as insolent as your bondsman, Po Ding. We will take that up later. If you wish to throw your forces away, you are free to do so. I am returning to Sian."

                    Po smiled once more. "Thank you for mentioning my warrior that is attached to you. I trust Nyxie has served you well from what I can glean from your comments. But alas, she is my warrior, and I would have her with me as we fight. We make planetfall in three days. I expect her return then. You are then free to flee the area while we conduct our operation."

                    Nyxie could not stifle her smile at Po Ding's comment. He was having none of Tam's foolishness, but was playing it off in such a way as to seem above the fray, rather than defer to Tam's authority. 

                    "It will be good riddance Po Ding. I will see you in three days."

                    



 Gamble Plains

Conquista

Duchy of Andurien

Free Worlds League


18 June, 3152





                    Maxwell Ma readied himself in the cockpit of his Hierofalcon. The time had come for him to make his strike. Sensing that the Death Commandos might need help, Master Po had ordered The House to mount up and follow their path to the planet of Conquista. Master Po had been correct. The Death Commandos, while making some early successes, had run afoul of the nefarious Colonel Alfonso Humphreys. The lead Death Commando, Sheena Li, had been captured.

                    Her replacement was less than helpful, seeking simply to flee with what little honor he still had intact. But Master Po would have none of it, and so Max found himself leading the strike team to rescue the Sao-shao.

                    The plan was a simple one. Po would engage the main forces of the Anduriens, bringing them a fight to catch their attention. While he was doing this, Max would lead a small strike team in to rescue Sheena from the enemy headquarters. Timing was everything. He had received a coded transmission that indicated that Po had engaged the main Andurien force far out on the plains.

                    With that, Max had moved his team into place. He had three 'Mechs with him. There was his own Hierofalcon, plus a Wraith, a Commando, and a Locust. The  Hierofalcon and the Wraith also carried a squad of mounted Fa Shih battlesuits. He trusted all the warriors with him to do their job. But even among the strike force, their job would be to distract any enemy forces remaining gaurding the Headquarters. The real elements were her team of Gladiator BattleArmor troopers, attaching themselves to a pair of J Edgar hovertanks that would infiltrate the facility and rescue the captured Death Commando commander. They would be accompanied by Nyxie in her Svartalfa ProtoMech It was all they had to accomplish their goal.

                    "Let's roll"

                    



######








No comments:

Post a Comment