Friday, April 21, 2023

The Stakes of the Game

Cathay    

Solaris City

Solaris VII

18 April 3061 





                    For the first time in her career, Detective Nicky Vale was unsure of herself. She had just received a text from Lin Ming detailing a meeting with what sounded like a rather unsavory character. It was clear to her that this had something to do with the case currently on her desk, a murder in Cathay. But now she found herself involved with a principal in the case. It was a mistake to have spent the night with Lin Ming. Any budding attachment now complicated matters greatly. 

                    For the sake of the case, she wanted Lin to travel down this path and unearth whatever was at the end of the conspiracy. But now she found herself not wanting Lin to take on the danger that playing things out would entail. Lin was more than just an asset to her, there was some kind of connection between the two. But that complicated matters massively.

                    She set up a meeting with Lin. They were going to have to talk about this. She didn't want to go down the path that meeting up at Lin's place would lead to, not right now. She decided for a meetup in the International Zone, at a bar frequented by the SCPD. It was her home turf, so to speak, and it would make things easier. 

                    She donned a light jacket and her service weapon, and headed out to the meetup.


International Zone   

Solaris City

Solaris VII

18 April 3061 


                    She didn't quite know why, but Lin Ming dressed up a bit for her meeting with Detective Vale. She had spent much of the day thinking about Nicky, and now with evening turning to night, she wanted to make a good impression. She chose a green silk blouse and slacks that complimented her frame. 

                    She made her way to the international sector of the city, to the bar that Nicky had referenced in her text. It was a comfy type bar, not flash or garish like many on the Game World, and she guessed that it was a frequent stop for off duty police officers.

                    She quickly found Nicky, already seated at a table, and made her way over to the other woman. She ordered a cocktail and waited for the server to leave before she spoke. 

                    "So, did you get my message?"

                    Nicky furrowed her brow. "Yes, I got it. And it's a dangerous game. These people could be connected with the murder, you know?"

                    "Exactly. That's why I have to play along. This could break the whole case wide open. We could figure out what is going on and maybe catch the killer."

                    Nicky sipped on her drink. "That is exactly why I don't want you doing it. It's too dangerous. We don't know anything about this Drake character. I tried to run a search for him, but came up empty. There wasn't a lot to go on. I don't like going into things blind."

                    Lin reached out and touched Nicky's arm. "Look, I can do this. I can help solve this mystery."

                    Nicky shook her head. "How? You don't have any experience with this kind of undercover work. You'd be in over your head, and there's not much help I can give you. This is super dangerous."

                    "Hey, I ride fire for a living and shoot at things. I'm no stranger to danger."

                    Nicky took her hand. "This is different. This isn't combat. This is the underworld. The rules are totally different here."

                    "Look, detective, I can do this. I'll need your help, but I can do this. We can solve this case together. I know it's risky, but I want to do this."

                    Nicky shook her head. "There's no talking you out of this, is there?"

                    "Nope. Will you help me?"

                    "Of course. I'll do everything that I can. I just hope that it will be enough." 


No comments:

Post a Comment