Thursday, April 20, 2023

The Interview

 Cathay    

Solaris City

Solaris VII

11 April 3061 




                    Lin Ming  had just come out of the shower and was about to enjoy her breakfast, when there was a knock on the door of her small Cathay apartment. She was not expecting anyone, let alone this early. She had slept like a log after her first Solaris match, and had nothing planned for the day but relaxing.

                    "Who is it?"

                    "Solaris City Police Department."

                    The police? What were the police doing at her door? She hadn't done anything wrong. What could they possibly want. Her pulse raced a little higher than normal as she made her way to the door and opened it. 

                    Greeting her was an absolutely gorgeous woman, average height, wearing jeans and a blazer and sporting the shield of the SCPD on a chain around her neck. Her blonde hair was pulled back in a pony tail and her blue eyes gave away no emotion.

                    It was just Lin's luck, not only were the police after her for something, but they had sent an incredibly attractive officer to her. She was nervous as hell, and the combination of the the unknown reason for the police being there coupled with a woman she found attractive, this was not going to go well.

                    "Are you Lin Ming?"

                    She nodded before blurting out "Who's asking?"

                    "Detective Nicky Vale, Solaris City PD. Do you have a moment, I'd like to ask you a few questions."

                    "Of course, detective, come in. Can I ask what this is about?"

                    She closed the door after the woman entered, and she gestured towards a chair.

                    The detective took a seat, and Lin sat opposite her on the small couch. "I understand that you piloted an Urbanmech last night in something called an Urbie Derby out in the Reaches for Red Dragon Corp?"

                    Lin bit her lip nervously. "That's right. I won the match in fact. It's all registered proper with the gaming board, everything was legal."

                    Detective Vale smiled. "I'm not here about the fight, per se. Have you ever come across a man named Mitchell Avellar?"

                    The name was unfamiliar to her. "Not that I'm aware of. The name doesn't ring a bell."

                    "Interesting. He was the man who piloted your mech up until last night. You never met him?"

                    Lin nodded. "Never. I had no idea whose place I was taking. I just got offered the gig after paying a hefty price to a fixer to get my name noticed. I never met any other pilots for Red Dragon."

                    "This fixer, he have a name?"

                    "Grimes. That was his name. He checked out as above board and all, nothing out of the ordinary."

                    Detective Vale moved slightly in her seat. "Would you be surprised if I told you that Mitchell Avellar was found dead yesterday morning in an alley here in Cathay?"

                    Lin's heart began to race. She could see where this was going. "Yes, I would be."

                    "So a guy end up dead, you take his place, and you don't know anything about it?"

                    Lin shook her head. "I know how it might look, but I never met the man. And I can't think that Mr. Grimes had anything to do with his death either."

                    Nicky Vale squinted. "I never said he was murdered, just that he was found dead. Do you know something I don't?"

                    Lin caught herself before speaking. "No, I mean I just assumed. I didn't know or anything."

                    "Can you think of any reason why someone might want Mr. Avellar dead?"

                    "No. I mean...well, we're working on some corporate sensitive stuff. Maybe that got him on someone's bad list? I don't know."

                    "You seem nervous. Is everything alright?"

                    Damn, there it was, she was giving off nervous vibes, the worst thing that she could be doing in front of a cop. "Yeah, I'm just a little flustered, this is a lot to take in, a murder and all that." To say nothing of her attraction to the detective.

                    "You deal with death all the time in the arena, it's a bloodsport."

                    Lin shook her head. "This is different. A murder is different than the battlefield."

                    "If you say so."

                    "Look, I will help in any way I can. Honestly, I knew nothing of this man before you brought him up. I hadn't even given a second thought to whose place I was taking. If there is any way I can help, I will."

                    She shrunk back. She had to listen to herself. She was practically pleading with this detective. She was a MechWarrior, she shouldn't be acting like this. 

                    "I appreciate that. Look, here's my card with my details. Think about things. If you think of anything that might be important, give me a call, ok?"

                    "Sure. I will."

                    With that, the detective stood up and left the apartment, leaving Lin Ming to worry over what had just happened. 



No comments:

Post a Comment