Friday, June 12, 2020

     Finally, she made her way to Abigail's cabin and found the other woman forcefully arranging her belongings. After shoving a wad of clothing into a small closet and slamming the door shut, she gave it a kick for good measure. 

     Fiona raised an eyebrow. "That closet will think twice before messing with you again." She said sarcastically. 

     Abigail fumed. "I tried imagining it as that filthy obnoxious freebirth's head in the hope that it would alleviate some of my rage."

     "Did it work?"

     Abigail smashed her palm against the wall. "Neg, not in the slightest. Perhaps standing over his corpse will help."

     Fiona sighed. "You two are going to have to bury the hatchet sometime."

     Abigail smiled. "Give me a hatchet and I will solve the problem."

     "That is not exactly the solution I had in mind."

        Abigail smacked her palm against the bulkhead once again, sighing angrily. “I do not understand, surat. Why is it so important for you that he and I get along? What difference does it make if we pummel each other into the ground?”


Fiona sat on the edge of the bed and pulled one leg under her. “I know that you probably think it is pure sentimentality or something, but it is more than that. I am in a unique position, and I am under no illusion that life is going to be easy for me. I need all of the allies I can muster. Having two of them at each other’s throats undermines the support I can get from them. I would rather have them working together, or at least not at cross purposes.”


Abigail let her shoulders slump. “Now you talk like a Wolf, alliances and politics.”


Fiona laughed. “Be careful not to say that to Lovvins, he seems as adept at politics and alliances as any Inner Sphere lord to me.”


Abigail finally sat on the bed opposite Fiona. “Abner and I simply agitate each other too much. If you want it settled, it must be done in a clan-like way. But that will never happen.”


Fiona shrugged. “Why not? Why not just challenge the other to a trial of grievance and beat each other senseless?”


Abigail scowled. “I would not put it in so coarse of terms, but yes, that would settle it. But in order for a Trial of Grievance, we would have to take our grievance first to our commander to obtain permission for the trial. We are still months from our unit and whoever they have chosen to command such a trash heap.”


Fiona shook her head. “No, you are looking at it all wrong. We have not reported to the Falcon Guards or its commander yet. Right now, all we have is this ship. I do not know any of the crew, but even that “captain” of the ship cannot have any great rank or influence. Abner was demoted in order to stay in a combat unit. That leaves the highest ranking officer as Star Commander Lovvins. I am sure we could get him to authorize it. I can talk to him about it. But you must promise that if I get this to happen for you, this is the end of this feud. Quiaff?”


Abigail thought long and hard for a moment. “Aff. Well bargained and done, surat.”



No comments:

Post a Comment