Sunday, May 7, 2023

A new fight

Cathay    

Solaris City

Solaris VII

4 May 3061 




                    After a few uneventful days, Lin Ming was summoned to the headquarters of Red Dragon Corp. She made her way to Teng Shen's office. Though it was the same office, decorated in traditional Liao style, it somehow now seemed more foreboding and dangerous, now that she knew what the stakes of the game were.

                    "Great news, Lin. We have another fight scheduled to test out the project. This fight will also be in the Hartford Gardens arena. This time, however, your opponent will be an Atlas. This fight is billed as a David vs. Goliath fight. It will test the extremes of the stealth system, but we feel it is a great opportunity to test the system in something close to practical fighting."

                    Lin's eyes grew wide. "I'm supposed to take on an Atlas in an Urbanmech?"

                    Shen nodded. "You will have the advantage of stealth, as well as speed over the Atlas. We aren't interested so much in winning as seeing how the system performs against a larger opponent. A victory, of course, would be icing on the cake, but we are not expecting you to win this one. This is more of a trial than anything else. I'm sure you will put up a good fight.

                    "I shall endeavor to do my best. I trust I have some time to practice for this bout?"

                    Shen held up three fingers. "The fight is not for three days, so yes, you will have ample time to practice and train on the mech. I would use the time wisely, not fritter it away in the Black Hills."

                    Her eyes narrowed. "You've been tracking me?"

                    Shen shook his head. "Not so much tracking as keeping an eye out. You are a Solaris gladiator now, your presence is noteworthy in many places. I would just suggest that you stay closer to home, to better prepare for the fight."

                    "I shall. Thank you. Is there anything else?"

                    "There will be a great deal of scrutiny on this fight, it is much higher billed than your previous fights. Make sure to keep things close to the vest, we don't want any hints getting out as to the nature of the project. I'm sure you can handle it."

                    "I will try my best.. Thank you."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment