Monday, February 6, 2023

The Mechwarrior

 

Port Howard

Towne

Federated Suns

29 April, 3077

 

            Learning to play was fun. She didn’t even order any more drinks, she just soaked in the exhilharation of doing something so mundane and fun. Will taught her the basics, and in no time, she was reasonably competent at playing.

            She didn’t know how much time had passed, but the bartender hollered that it was last call. She didn’t want the night to end. She didn’t want this life to end. Tomorrow would be more blood and guts, but tonight she was living for the first time in a long time.

            “Guess this is where we part ways, Zee. I hope you had a good night.”

            She didn’t know why, but she slid her arm into his. “Does it have to end?”

            She was running on adrenaline and autopilot now. She didn’t know why she didn’t want the night to end, but she simply didn’t.

            “That’s a loaded question, Corporal”

            “I’m serious. You picked me for a reason, the night doesn’t have to end. What do you have waiting for you?”

            He smiled coyly. “A nice date with a real bed in a hotel a few blocks from here. They put us Mechwarriors up pretty well.”

            She grinned. “Big enough for two?”

            He chuckled. “Rather bold of you, Corporal”

            “No timid medics in the field, Mechjock”

            She didn’t know why she was doing this. It was the last thing on her mind when she had left the base for the evening, but now she wanted a connection more than anything. Something real. Something to survive on.

            Less than half an hour later, they were in Will’s room at one of the pricier hotels on Towne. It had been quite some time since she had been with a guy. She was aggressive, making sure that she got what she wanted.

            Will was happy to oblige her, and the two went on for what seemed like hours. Finally, she found herself laying on her back, her eyes closed, letting her heartbeat return to normal.

            “You don’t mess around, do you?” he asked.

            “No, I’m not normally like this. Tonight was just….different. I needed to let go. You have no idea what it’s like picking up the pieces of the mess that you soldiers make.”

            “I have some fair idea. But I take your point. So, did it work?”

            She opened her eyes. “It did. For a while. It’s still there, but it’s quiet right now.”

            “Why do you do it?”

            She paused. “I don’t rightly know. I enlisted for some adventure, but I never imagined anything like this. Now….it’s like I do it because it’s all I have. It’s all that keeps me going. I can still remember the first Mechwarrior I lost in the field. It’s like I have blood on my hands ever since. I have to keep going, because you guys keep destroying things.”

            He rubbed her shoulder gently. “Don’t you think that’s a bit harsh?”

            “I didn’t mean it like that. I know that this is a just war. It must happen. The Blakists must be stopped. But that’s all so macro-level. It’s the micro where things break down, where things hurt.”

            “Have you been in long?”

            “Only a few years. I never dreamed I would see action, I signed up before the whole Jihad cooked off. You?”

            “I’ve been in forever. I knew I wanted to be a Mechwarrior from the time I could form a sentence. It’s just in my blood. It’s in my family. This isn’t my first fight. I fought in the Civil War. That’s where I learned my trade. That was a just war too, kicking Katherine off the throne. But it doesn’t matter, it’s just what I do, it’s who I am.”

            “Do you think we will win this one?”

            “We have to. There has to be something better than the Blakist tyranny. It has to end.”

            She sighed. “But will it ever end? Or will there just be another war after this one? And another one after that? Seems to be all we’re good at is war.”

            “I don’t know, there’s something more to this one. Something that says maybe it will end things once and for all. That we’ll get back the state that we love and we can just all live in a state of peace. Or at least a state of not war. This thing is going to be huge. It’s going to end on Terra.”

            “Have you ever been there?”

            “Me? Never. Never held much allure for me either. But it’s where everything started, and it’s where it all has to end. I just hope I’m alive to see the end.”

            “You and me both. I’ve never really thought of the end of all this. It has to end, but I’ve never given it a thought since this whole thing started. It’s like I’ve been living my life on autopilot, no control over anything. At least you guys get to shape how things go.”

            He pulled her closer to him. “But we’re all still just pieces of the machine. I break things. You fix them. We keep on going. We serve the Princess, we serve the Suns. We just keep going.”

            She nestled herself closer to his body. “Philosophy 101. On the battlefield. I’m glad we had this.”

            “I didn’t mean for this to happen.”

            “Do you regret it?”

            “No regrets. We keep on going. What’s next for you, Corporal?”

            She sighed heavily. “Wherever the next fight is. I’m sure there will be a next fight. I hate being space-side, so I hope that it’s quick. What about you?”

            “I have no idea. We go where the danger is. I’m not sure if we’ll be stationed with this group the whole time or if we’ll be detatched. It’s the nature of the beast.”

            That was when it dawned on her. The 7th Lancers. This guy was part of the Fox’s Teeth. He would be seeing the harshest of the harsh action in this war. He would be seeing far more prominent battlefields than she would. If she made it. She kept reminding herself, if she made it.

            “Thank you.” She said.

            “For what?”

            “For this. For helping me feel alive for a little while. For reminding me why we do what we do. For doing what you do.”

            With that, she fell asleep. A calm, peaceful sleep for the first time in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment