Friday, April 19, 2019

Forging Freyja - Chapter 13.5

Royal Palace
Lordinax
Lothian League
Marian Hegemony
The Periphery
27 February, 3150





     Gunnar Logan tried not to appear worried as he sat at the square breakfast table in what seemed to be the Grand Mistress' private room. There was a large closed set of doors that he only could guess led to her bedroom, and another open set on the opposite wall that led into a library or study. He had to admit to being a little intrigued at being so close to the Grand Mistress' bedroom. The lady had something of a reputation for her appetite, and had been flirtatious as hell during their meeting the day before. And of course it didn't hurt that she was both powerful and beautiful. But Gunnar had been unable to seal the deal, finally realizing that the Grand Mistress was all tease, and had ended up returning to his room with nothing but frustration.

     It hadn't helped that he had no word or contact from Freyja. He had made several discreet inquiries, but it wasn't as if he could go barging around another noble's palace looking for her. Discretion was the better part of valor, and he had finally drifted off to sleep. He had received an invitation to a group breakfast with the Grand Mistress, which is where he found himself now. 

     Seated across from him was Senator Ghant, pecking away at a piece of potato with his fork in an irritated manner. The man was short on both patience and manners. Seated to his left was Grand Mistress Logan, looking poised as ever, sipping a cup of tea and eyeing each of the two men in turn. To his right was an empty place setting where Freyja should be sitting, but she was notably absent.

     "I trust you gentlemen slept well?" she asked.

     The senator nodded and made some kind of sound. Gunnar looked at the Grand Mistress. "I slept adequately, but there is a lot on my mind. Starting with where Freyja is. I thought she would be joining us, but I haven't seen or spoken with her since yesterday."

      Claire waved her hand dismissively, "She's fine, I assure you. She's probably still asleep. I'm afraid I kept the poor girl up quite late last night going over details of my plans. Plus she needs her rest, with her condition and all. I'm sure she will be joining us soon."

     Gunnars mind raced. Was the Grand Mistress fishing for information? Surely Freyja would not have let slip word of her pregnancy. And why would Mistress Claire have dropped that in his lap. The woman had a hint of a smile at the corners of her mouth.

     Senator Ghant looked even more pale than usual. "Why would you have been discussing plans with her, Mistress? We should all be involved."

     Claire flashed a devilish smile. "Oh I'm sure you both would have quite enjoyed that."

     The hidden meaning was clearly lost on the senator, but perhaps not totally on the Count. Gunnar spoke up. "Mistress Logan, I'm sure what the senator means is that we're all quite anxious to get the matter that brought us here resolved. None of us like being away from our home, especially at a critical time like this."

     Mistress Logan sat back and crossed her legs. She was wearing a deep blue skirt suit with silver crystal highlighted heels, a white blouse, and had her hair styled up in an intricate bun. She was at ease in her lair, and exuded confidence. "I understand, my dear boy, it must be nerve wracking to be away at a time like this. But the decisions of importance are being made here. It will be up to you all to return and implement them. But don't worry, I'm sure we'll get all the details hammered out before the day is done. Once our dear Freyja arrives, we can start discussing it all."

     The senator started to say something, but the double doors that had been closed swung open. "My apologies, Mistress, I hadn't intended on sleeping so late, I was going to wake up and sneak back to...." Freyja's voice drifted off as she emerged, barefoot and wearing only a puffy white robe. Her eyes dashed between the three people seated at the table. Gunnar's jaw was open, the senator looked as if he had seen a ghost, and Mistress Claire smiled almost gleefully. "Oh. I think I've come at a bad time. I can go."

     Freyja started to retreat, but Claire stood up. "Nonsense. Your timing was wonderful last night, just as it is now. The boys here were getting anxious to discuss politics, but I told them we couldn't start without you. Have a seat dear, the maid will bring your food in shortly now that you've joined us."

     Freyja stood awkwardly for a moment, before seeming to shake herself of doubt and strode over to the table and sat down. Gunnar stood as she took her seat, before returning to his, but Senator Ghant merely stared. Mistress Logan sat down last and picked up her cup of tea. "Shall we get started then?"

     The senator put his fork down and laid his palms on the table. "Is this....appropriate, Mistress? I mean, we are dealing with serious matters here."

     Claire looked confused. "Of that we are all aware. But what are you talking about? Is what appropriate?"

     He flailed his hands. "This. We are talking about solidifying power on our world, and she's just strutted out of your bedchamber like some plaything. We're supposed to negotiate while she's just come out after having...well it appears to be a conflict of interest, or at least most distressing. Her links to the Count here are well known. Am I to believe you're dealing honestly with me here while he very well had a spy in your bed last night?"

     Mistress Logan was quiet for a few seconds, then burst out laughing. "My dear senator, you are quite amusing. First, I believe the word you're looking for in regards to what dear Freyja and I were doing last night is 'fucking'. I'm the ruler of this world, and I will fuck who I please, so long as it pleases them. And I assure you, it pleased her to no end."

     Freyja sat back and tried in vain not to blush. Gunnar blinked in astonishment. The senator remained flabbergasted.

     Mistress Logan continued. "Second. You make the mistake of assuming that there are only two players at this game of power for your world. In doing so, you overlook the fact that there are four, and furthermore, you ignore the two who are most important. The first is me. You dismiss me as some fortune dispensing figurehead who is going to be manipulated by having a pretty thing in my bed? And the second is Freyja, who you would be wrong to dismiss as just a pretty thing. In fact, as a citizen of Lummatii, you should get used to addressing this woman with her proper title and respect."

     Senator Ghant finally found his voice. "Mistress, you mistake my intentions, I would never think so little of you. But as for miss Freyja, she is a soldier and a former slave. Even if you should foolishly allow her to retain control of her military forces, those forces will be subject to the Planetary government, which is what we are here to form. You can't seriously be considering the playboy of a Count here for the role of ruler. I am the logical choice. I am the choice of the people."

     Mistress Logan suppressed another laugh. "You won an election 12 years ago by making promises about securing investment from my government, and you've simply gone along for the ride with that because the people are too lazy to vote you out. That and you bribe and intimidate your potential opponents. But you are not a leader, you are a weasel. And the people will have as their ruler the person who I, the head of the realm, choose to place there. And it just so happens, that the person I choose to place there is someone that is actually loved and respected by the people. So I suggest you get used to addressing the young lady here with proper deference, as Lady Freyja McCarron, Duchess of Lummatii."

     No one spoke. Freyja smiled slightly. Gunnar looked back and forth in disbelief between the two women. And the senator's face turned red.

     He finally managed to speak. "You can't be serious. This will not stand. I will bring this before the senate and you will be censured for this, Mistress. You may be the ruler of this realm, but the people still have a voice in the senate. And the senate will not stand for you undermining our authority by putting her on a throne, a slave girl, a slut. It won't stand."

     With that, Gunnar Logan leaped to his feet. "With the utmost respect senator, you will be quiet, and you will be quiet now. I will not have you speaking to a lady like that, especially a lady who happens to be a hero of our planet and is going to be the mother of my child."

     The senator leaned back. "Wait? Your child? You bastard, you would try to play that card wouldn't you. You see what's happening and you try to jump on the bandwagon of power simply because you've been sleeping with the Mistress' choice of puppet. I wonder how many bastard children you've sired already, yet you leap to claim this one? How convenient. I won't be cowed by you, Logan.

     "Enough!" Freyja shouted. The room fell silent. Freyja and Claire locked gazes. This too was a test. Mistress Logan was getting ready to hand over a lot of power, and she wanted to see how her vassal would handle it. The Freyja of years or even days before might have hesitated. But she was different now. Maybe she had found herself, maybe she was just still riding the high of the previous night. Whatever the reason, she was not going to disappoint her Mistress.

     "Gunnar Logan, I don't need you to protect me. I'm going to be the mother of your child, but I'm also going to be your Duchess. You will be my vassal, don't forget that just because we've shared a bed. And you, senator, I have little use for you. In our little arrangement, I rule at the pleasure of the Grand Mistress. I do not answer in any way to you or your senate. You have a problem, take it up with her. But don't for a second think that you have the people at your back. You are nothing. I have put my life on the line for them, and they will be MY subjects. I've been on the receiving end of periphery justice, so if you ever fail to treat me with respect again, I know exactly what to have done with you, do you understand?"

     The senator gritted his teeth. "Yes, my lady."

     Grand Mistress Logan spread her hands wide. "Shall we get back to breakfast, everyone?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment