Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Exile of the Faithful - Chapter Six

Exile of the Faithful - Chapter Six





Cathay
Solaris City
Solaris VII
Lyran Commonwealth
9 September, 3052


     Faith stepped through the door, entering the multi-story building that housed significant portions of the Capellan influence on Solaris. From the outside, one might never even notice the building, slightly dilapidated, with little to hint at the importance of some of the residents within. She took the first set of stairs that she came to, heading down a level to a long corridor. At the end of the corridor, a burly guard stood watch. While his image did not lend itself to any kind of quickness, she had no desire to test him. People in this segment of society rarely employed substandard help.

     "I'm here to see the lady of the house. I'm expected." She handed the guard a small poppy that she had found in her dressing room following the last match. It was a signal, and one she could hardly mistake. And so, she was here, to see what, exactly, the local Capellans wanted with her.

     The guard held out his hand, and she reached into her jacket, producing a small hold out pistol and handing it to the doorman. She wasn't going to be shooting her way out of this situation anyway. After a few seconds, the guard, satisfied, opened the door and allowed her to pass. She continued on her way. The hallway could have been any hallway in any drab building throughout the Inner Sphere, cold barren walls, and a floor not dirty and yet not quite clean. She reached the end of the hall to find a door slightly ajar. She knocked and walked through.

     Walking into the room, the environment changed completely. The lighting was subdued, it's source obscured, leaving the room cast in a myriad interaction of light and shadow. The room was decorated in dark, rich colors, deep reds and purples mixed in amongst the dark Capellan greens.

     Casting an impressive image, Jasmine Xiu sat casually against the plush of an oversize chair, draping one arm over the arm of the chair. The soft lighting highlighted her delicate Asian features.

     "I'm glad you accepted my invitation, Faith. We were very disappointed that you didn't come see us upon your arrival here on Solaris." As she spoke, the woman gestured for Faith to take the seat opposite her. Faith obliged, sitting back in the plush chair, careful to remain relaxed.

     "Yeah, well I didn't exactly leave the Confederation on the best of terms, so a warm welcome wasn't what I had in mind here."

     "Yes, that entire situation was quite...unfortunate." She paused as if deliberately choosing her words. "It may interest you to know there have been....further developments in that regard."

     Something was going on. Xiu was well known in the Capellan community, and this invitation to meet was about as official as an unofficial request could get in the internecine mess of Capellan politics.

     "I'm sure you're going to share"

     "Indeed. Shortly after you made good your escape from Purvo, the entirety of the Gatekeepers battalion treasonously fled the Confederation, stole their equipment, and took their services to the Draconis Combine."

     Faith laughed aloud. "I can't say as I'm surprised. Blackhand was about as unbalanced as they come. So what, the Gatekeepers and their mini-Napoleon have been unmasked and I can return home to a party and open arms?"

     Jasmine frowned. "Alas, no. While the traitorous machinations of the Gatekeepers have been revealed, Lady Romano does not take lightly her subjects going rogue. She feels that disloyalty is a blemish of character that cannot so easily be dismissed. The circumstances have, however, cooled her furor in seeking accountability."

     Faith leaned forward. "I'm not big on Mask double talk. What does that mean?"

     "It means that while you may not be welcome in the Confederation, the Maskirovka is not directed to seek your death or capture at this time."

     "I'm touched. You'll forgive me if I don't exactly celebrate. I came here to build up something I could stand on, and that plan hasn't changed. I like that I may not have to worry about you guys sticking a knife in my back, but I'm a free agent now."

     Jasmine gracefully stood. "Whatever you might think, I am not mindlessly in lock-step with Sian. I play a role here, as every Capellan citizen does. As you do, even if you may not embrace it at the moment."

     "Still wouldn't hold your breath. You'll forgive me if I'm still a bit cagey. You guys made this issue, now deal with it."

3 comments:

  1. Great to have you back; don't know the full details earlier this year but I didn't have any means to contact you outside of game (couldn't put 2 + 2 together you see re: this blog) but welcome back. Happy to drop with you once more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know, sorry I missed this comment until now, and most of all, thanks for the positive gaming thoughts. The community can be toxic at times, but it makes the positive times stand out all the more. Glad that somebody is actually reading. lol

      Delete
  2. I've been enjoying the fiction, but for perspective: Under Chancellor SunTzu the Gatekeepers were sent to Draconis Combine. When I received the recall order to Sian: the ones Loyal to Capella returned as commanded. But the time on the date stamp, Lady Romano had died and Suntzu had assumed the Celestial Throne.

    --Stoneblade
    Red Lancer

    ReplyDelete