Thursday, May 14, 2015

Test of Faith - Chapter Nine

Test of Faith - Chapter Nine




Jezrael City
Pleione
Word of Blake Protectorate
23 June, 3075



     Acadia burst through the door of the rather ramshackle apartment that she and Cat had been operating out of. She smacked the light switch and ran into the room.

     "Cat, she's alive! They've got her at Thunder Rock!"

     The response was a throw pillow flying in her general direction from the other side of the room. "Stravag! You better have brought me some coffee, girl." Cat poked her head out from under a blanket and stared annoyingly at Acadia.

     "Sorry, no coffee. I didn't have time. I came straight here as soon as I woke up. Cat, She's alive! We can get her out now."

     The older woman slowly climbed out from under the blanket and stood up. "Calm down. You need to tell me details. We can start planning now, we cannot rush into things. Now, how did you find out?"

     Acadia went over to the coffee maker and started to get it ready to brew a pot. "Ok, so this girl burst into Paxton's place last night all pissed off that I was there. Turns out she's a member of the resistance cell he runs, and she was worried I would find out about them. Well anyway, they argued, and he got all cute and apologized to me, and then he started to tell me all about how he's trying to do his part about the Word of Blake and all. Well, in the conversation, it came up that the Blakists have been a little more relaxed lately because they're kinda pleased with themselves. Why, you might ask? Because they captured a CapCon officer in the last raid. It's her, it has to be, the description fits her and all. They pulled her out of her mech and took her to the fortress. I knew she was alive!"

     Cat walked up beside her and put a hand on her back. "Alright. But calm down. That was the easy part. Now we have to focus on getting her out. That is the nearly impossible part."

     Acadia turned to face Cat. "I know you too well Cat, don't you have a plan?"

     Cat sighed. "Yes, I have a plan. I have been thinking about this the whole time. I can only think of one way to get her out, and I am loathe to do it."

     Picking up a dish towel, Acadia wiped out two mugs and set them on the counter beside the coffee maker. "Why?"

     Cat collected her thoughts for a moment. "We know she is in the Thunder Rock facility. Now, I can most likely infiltrate the place given proper planning. But I will not be able to remain undetected for long. We have no idea where she is in the fortress, and I cannot very well just go around opening up doors looking for her, it would take forever. The only way I know to find out precisely where in the facility she is, is to let the Blakists show us."

     Acadia listened eagerly. "Ok, great, and how do we get them to do that?"

     The older woman frowned. "We let them capture you. If we get a tracker on you somehow, and let them capture you, it is too good of an opportunity, they would have to bring you two together. Then, I spring the two of you free. It is the only way I can come up with of locating her. And it is too risky for you."

     "Bull! I'll do it. When do we start?"

     Cat reached out and put her arm on Acadia's shoulder. "It is not that simple. This is a one time shot. No rehearsal, no margin for error. If you go in and I fail in the rescue attempt, you are in their clutches forever."

     "It's my mom, Cat. I'd risk my life for her in an instant."

     Cat turned and leaned back against the counter. "I know you would. And so would I. But would she want it? And do not be so quick to accept risks you do not understand. They will not simply kill you, they will do to you what they are doing to her. They will try to break you completely. If I fail and end up simply turning you over to them, what will she think then?"

     Acadia walked over and wrapped her arms around Cat. "Cat, we are here. They're destroying her. We can save her. This is what we came for, we have to. I can take a chance and risk living with the consequences. I can't live with giving up."

     She felt Cat pat her on the head. "Alright. I promise I will do everything in my power to validate your trust. Now, we will have to get some equipment, and we will have to train you. You cannot simply walk up to an HPG station and turn yourself in. This must be believable. They must catch you in a rescue attempt. We have very little time, and you have much to learn. If you thought I was a harsh instructor when I taught you to pilot a mech, that will pale in comparison to this."

No comments:

Post a Comment